- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- Additional shredded carrot, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken in 2 teaspoons oil; drain. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the green pepper, celery and onion in remaining oil for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, carrot and garlic; saute 2-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until thickened. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Stir chicken into tomato mixture; cook for 8-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Discard bay leaf. Drain spaghetti; serve with chicken mixture. Garnish with additional carrot if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Skinny Cacciatore
Sort By :
"So good. We used a Rotisserre chicken instead and just added it in at the end."
"This was really good. Some of the veggies were still a little crunchy, but no one complained about it."
"We loved it. I will make it again!"
"Very good! I added additional basil and oregano. I served the sauce over whole grain spaghetti for added fiber."