CORN BREAD is a staple in the South. Besides serving it with a meal, we use it in many other ways, creating a variety of delicious side dishes.
This one makes a perfect accompaniment to chicken. It's simple and fast to prepare and makes the right amount for one or two.
-Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup crushed corn bread stuffing or crumbled day-old corn bread
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 2 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. In a
- large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add
- the corn bread mixture and seasonings; mix well. Cook over medium
- heat until lightly browned. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 296 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 243 mg cholesterol, 584 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.