This has always been a favorite dish of our Sisters who work in a hospital. When we get back to the convent, it's a quick and easy recipe we've used for years. Served with Italian bread and a tossed salad, it makes an excellent meal.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans (11-1/2 ounces each) tomato juice (about 2-3/4 cups)
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 package (7 ounces) spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomato juice, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Add uncooked spaghetti.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the spaghetti is tender, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Skillet Spaghetti in Country Extra May 2000, p51
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Skillet Spaghetti
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review