Skillet Southwestern Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Plain yogurt and minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and onion; cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in corn, beans, broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Top servings with yogurt and cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup (calculated without yogurt): 302 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 1106mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 19g protein
Reviews for Skillet Southwestern Chicken Soup
"Delicious and so easy to make, my husband and I loved this soup! I cooked it for him when he was home sick with a bad cold and the nice heat or spicy kick from the soup did wonders for clearing out his sinuses! Also great to make for when you're in a hurry because other than cooking the chicken ahead of time, you are simply adding the remaining ingredients, you can't go wrong! :)"
"The blend of seasonings in this soup is wonderful. I doubled the broth & added more chicken to make it go farther."
"I doubled everything except the spices because I also used 2 bags of frozen southwest veggies that had corn beans and spices in it also."
"Great! Used reduced sodium chicken stock and did not add salt."
"This is an excellent soup. I did have to make some changes but none really altering. I did not have any broth so make some with bullion cubes. I already hade some left-over corn and used that; I used pinto beans instead of black as I do not care for black beans taste. I will make this again as it was quick and so delicious."
"excellent soup but I too reduced the sodium. Homemade chicken broth and low sodium canned ingredients, great results"
"Sodium too high! Modify by excluding salt, and using low-sodium broth, then your winner, which is quick and easy to prepare, is ready to serve w/o reservation! ENJOY!"