- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Plain yogurt and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and onion; cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in corn, beans, broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Top servings with yogurt and cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Skillet Southwestern Chicken Soup
"Delicious and so easy to make, my husband and I loved this soup! I cooked it for him when he was home sick with a bad cold and the nice heat or spicy kick from the soup did wonders for clearing out his sinuses! Also great to make for when you're in a hurry because other than cooking the chicken ahead of time, you are simply adding the remaining ingredients, you can't go wrong! :)"
"The blend of seasonings in this soup is wonderful. I doubled the broth & added more chicken to make it go farther."
"I doubled everything except the spices because I also used 2 bags of frozen southwest veggies that had corn beans and spices in it also."
"Great! Used reduced sodium chicken stock and did not add salt."
"This is an excellent soup. I did have to make some changes but none really altering. I did not have any broth so make some with bullion cubes. I already hade some left-over corn and used that; I used pinto beans instead of black as I do not care for black beans taste. I will make this again as it was quick and so delicious."
"excellent soup but I too reduced the sodium. Homemade chicken broth and low sodium canned ingredients, great results"
"Sodium too high! Modify by excluding salt, and using low-sodium broth, then your winner, which is quick and easy to prepare, is ready to serve w/o reservation! ENJOY!"