Skillet Southwestern Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Plain yogurt and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the corn, beans, broth, tomatoes, cumin, salt, chili powder and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Garnish with yogurt and cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Skillet Southwestern Chicken Soup(5)
Sort By :
I doubled everything except the spices because I also used 2 bags of frozen southwest veggies that had corn beans and spices in it also.
Great! Used reduced sodium chicken stock and did not add salt.
This is an excellent soup. I did have to make some changes but none really altering. I did not have any broth so make some with bullion cubes. I already hade some left-over corn and used that; I used pinto beans instead of black as I do not care for black beans taste. I will make this again as it was quick and so delicious.
excellent soup but I too reduced the sodium. Homemade chicken broth and low sodium canned ingredients, great results
Sodium too high! Modify by excluding salt, and using low-sodium broth, then your winner, which is quick and easy to prepare, is ready to serve w/o reservation! ENJOY!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Soup Recipes >