- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, peas, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch, bouillon and water until well blended; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in sour cream and heat through (do not boil).
Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until potatoes are heated through and cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Prepare beef mixture as directed but do not add sour cream. Freeze cooled meat mixture in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large skillet, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Stir in sour cream and proceed as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Skillet Shepherd's Pie
"This Shepherd's Pie has a wonderful taste to it. It comes together quickly. I substituted canned green beans & corn for the frozen because that is what I had on hand. Will definitely be making this again!"
"I lived in Ireland for over 20 years & owned a restaurant/pub there. A SHEPARDS PIE is made with minced (ground) LAMB. When this dish is made with minced ( ground) BEEF the dish is called COTTAGE PIE. "Minced" is the Irish terminology for "Ground"!! The seasonings for "Shepards" Pie are slightly different, but quite obvious, than the seasonings for "Cottage" Pie!NOTE: THERE IS NO CORN, EVER, IN EITHER ONE !!!"
"After 3 helpings of this dish, my husband said I could add this dish to our weekly dinner rotation. I added chopped carrots instead of the corn along with a teaspoon as thyme and it was delicious. Definitely a keeper!"
"Why do people get so "hung up" on recipe titles? Ridiculous!"
"Very decent basic recipe for COTTAGE pie. Shepherds pie has to have lamb or mutton. Nice for meal when you don't want oven on- edit 10/12/16 Because Cindy- it IS Cottage Pie- call it what it is. It is still a good recipe-for NOT TURNING ON THE OVEN, YOU are being ridiculous"
"Was a real hit with my family. I used carrots and beans from our garden in place of corn & peas and baked in the oven because my skillet wasn't big enough. I'm a volunteer Field Editor and enjoy testing out recipes. We loved the flavours in this dish!"
"Jim and Dee likes. Better then other recipes that were tried"
"Hi Temyli,The freezing instructions are at the bottom of the recipe directions above."
"Is this freezable? Planning on a fishing trip and don't want to be tied to the kitchen. To many fish to catch and if I could freeze would I need a tin touch-away pan?"
"My family loved this recipe! I added carrots rather than the peas. I also added Tony Chachere's seasoning to the hamburger mixture and paprika sprinkled on the mashed potatoes. Excellent!"