Skillet Sausage Corn Bread
This unique corn bread is prepared in a skillet. I cut it into wedges and serve it with bacon, eggs and fresh fruit for a hearty breakfast.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- In a 9-in. ovenproof skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no
- longer pink. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In a large
- bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and sugar.
- In another bowl, beat egg and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just
- until moistened. Fold in sausage and reserved drippings. Return to
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 272 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 457 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.