Skillet Rolls Recipe
Baking these rolls in a skillet makes them soft and tender. My family requests them for most holiday dinners and other special occasions. I like them best split and spread with butter and black raspberry jelly.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, butter, sugar, salt, baking soda and egg. Beat until blended. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 5 minutes. Divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Grease a 12-in. ovenproof skillet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place rolls in prepared pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Drizzle butter over rolls. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from skillet to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 114 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC