- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Maraschino cherries
- Melt butter in a 9- or 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Add brown sugar; mix well until sugar is melted. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange about 8 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate the remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into skillet.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place cherries in center of pineapple slices. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Skillet Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
"The cake is very good but so rich that you can't eat more then one piece, if you bake this cake make sure you have no leftovers it doesn't keep well. I think the cake soaked up too much of the topping and became mushy. The cake texture was too light for a upside down cake."
"WOW!!! THE BEST!!! VERY ADDICTING!"
"We looooved this!!!! This is what a Pineapple Upside-Down cake is suposed to taste!"
"Tonight was my third time making this recipe, every time I get rave reviews. So delicious, my mouth waters every time I come across my cast iron skillet. Truly the best recipe. I omit the nuts (just don't like em) but it's just perfect every time. Like others I add the cherries before the batter. :) mm!"
"Very disappointed. Didn't turn out."