Skillet Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
For a change of pace, you can substitute fresh or frozen peach slices for the pineapple in this old-fashioned recipe.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Maraschino cherries
- 1. Melt butter in a 9- or 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Add brown sugar; mix well until sugar is melted. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange about 8 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate the remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into skillet.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place cherries in center of pineapple slices. Yield: 10 servings.
1 slice (calculated without maraschino cherries) equals 380 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC