- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 375°. Melt butter in a 9- or 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Add brown sugar; mix well until sugar is melted. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange about 8 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into skillet.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes (cover loosely with foil if cake browns too quickly). Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place cherries in center of pineapple slices. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Skillet Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
"This cake is very moist and delicious. I used fresh pineapple that I had cut into chunks and put a little sugar on to make more juice. It worked and I will be making this again."
"I have made this time and again. It's so delicious! I have also made it with peaches that I had canned. I've made it whole in the cast iron skillet and I've made mini's in the muffin tins. You just can't go wrong with this recipe!"
"WOW!!! THE BEST!!! VERY ADDICTING!"
"We looooved this!!!! This is what a Pineapple Upside-Down cake is suposed to taste!"
"Tonight was my third time making this recipe, every time I get rave reviews. So delicious, my mouth waters every time I come across my cast iron skillet. Truly the best recipe. I omit the nuts (just don't like em) but it's just perfect every time. Like others I add the cherries before the batter. :) mm!"
"Very disappointed. Didn't turn out."
"Everyone loved this cake even my boss :)"
"We love this recipe! I don't have a cast iron skillet but use my Guardian Ware pan. I like to add extra pecans too!"
"We thought this recipe was pretty tasty and we'll definitely make it again. One problem I did have was the oven temperature was a bit too high, so the cake ended up being a little overdone on the outside. Next time, I'm dropping it by 25 degrees or so. Thanks for the recipe!"