- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 375°. Melt butter in a 9- or 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Add brown sugar; mix well until sugar is melted. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange about 8 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into skillet.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes (cover loosely with foil if cake browns too quickly). Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place cherries in center of pineapple slices. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Skillet Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
"The cake is very good but so rich that you can't eat more then one piece, if you bake this cake make sure you have no leftovers it doesn't keep well. I think the cake soaked up too much of the topping and became mushy. The cake texture was too light for a upside down cake."
"WOW!!! THE BEST!!! VERY ADDICTING!"
"We looooved this!!!! This is what a Pineapple Upside-Down cake is suposed to taste!"
"Tonight was my third time making this recipe, every time I get rave reviews. So delicious, my mouth waters every time I come across my cast iron skillet. Truly the best recipe. I omit the nuts (just don't like em) but it's just perfect every time. Like others I add the cherries before the batter. :) mm!"
"Very disappointed. Didn't turn out."
"Everyone loved this cake even my boss :)"
"We love this recipe! I don't have a cast iron skillet but use my Guardian Ware pan. I like to add extra pecans too!"
"We thought this recipe was pretty tasty and we'll definitely make it again. One problem I did have was the oven temperature was a bit too high, so the cake ended up being a little overdone on the outside. Next time, I'm dropping it by 25 degrees or so. Thanks for the recipe!"
"Wouldn't change a thing, although I did put the cherries in before baking if that counts. I made it for my mom for her birthday, turned out delicious! Very moist."
"This a beautiful presentation. I love pineapple Upside-Down cake...cast iron is the best to use."