- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Maraschino cherries
- Melt butter in a 9- or 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Add brown sugar; mix well until sugar is melted. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange about 8 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate the remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into skillet.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place cherries in center of pineapple slices. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Skillet Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Sort By :
We looooved this!!!! This is what a Pineapple Upside-Down cake is suposed to taste!
Tonight was my third time making this recipe, every time I get rave reviews. So delicious, my mouth waters every time I come across my cast iron skillet. Truly the best recipe. I omit the nuts (just don't like em) but it's just perfect every time. Like others I add the cherries before the batter. :) mm!
Very disappointed. Didn't turn out.
Everyone loved this cake even my boss :)
We love this recipe! I don't have a cast iron skillet but use my Guardian Ware pan. I like to add extra pecans too!