This pleasantly spiced skillet dish from Lillie Glass of Dripping Springs, Texas gets extra zip when served with salsa. "While it's cooking, I fix ranch-style beans and a green salad so the whole meal is ready in about 30 minutes," she remarks.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, turkey, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, rice and chili powder. Cook for 10 minutes; sprinkle with the cheese. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Skillet Ole in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p49
Reviews for Skillet Ole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review