Skillet Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add cream; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain macaroni; add to cheese mixture. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Skillet Mac & Cheese(77)
Sort By :
This is pretty much how I have always made my mac & cheese, however, I put milk, butter and flour in the microwave and heat it until it thickens and then add the cheese to it and stir until it is all melted in. I then add to the cooked (low carb) macaroni and it's good to go. My kids and I love it!
This was so rich and creamy, what a great comfort food! I lightened it up using Brummel & Brown spread in lieu of butter, using skim milk instead of half-and-half, and I used 2% Velveeta. That drops almost 150 calories per serving and cuts the fat down to 1/3 the original. And it definitely did not take away the richness of the dish! I would make this as a treat to myself anytime I'm craving mac 'n cheese, sure beats opening a box and doesn't take any more time to make than a box. We loved it!
P.S. I made it without the flour, used milk and American Processed cheese.
This is a great recipe. I made mac and cheese like this for over 40 years - my family loved it and they now make it for their families.
More Recipe Collections
- Birthday Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easy Main Dish Recipes >
- Easy Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >