Skillet Jalapeno Corn Bread Recipe
Our home economists bake this moist corn bread in an ovenproof skillet to tie into the Western barbecue theme. A jalapeno pepper adds a bit of zip.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 6 bacon strips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cheese, jalapeno and bacon.
- 3. Pour into the skillet. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges; serve warm. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 each equals 342 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 427 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC