- 6 bacon strips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cheese, jalapeno and bacon.
- Pour into the skillet. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges; serve warm. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Skillet Jalapeno Corn Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p230
Reviews for Skillet Jalapeno Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 3, 2014
"This was a good moist cornbread. I left out the sugar. My husband and kids love sweet cornbread, but I don't like it."