Skillet Corn Bread
This skillet bread looks like a puffy pancake but has the easy-to-cut texture of conventional corn bread. It complements everything from chicken to chili. Kathy Teela of Tucson, Arizona submitted this yummy recipe.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In another small bowl, beat the egg, milk and 3 teaspoons oil; stir
- into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Heat remaining oil in a heavy 8-in. skillet over low heat. Pour
- batter into the hot skillet; cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Turn
- and cook 4 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 pieces) equals 256 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 442 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.