This skillet bread looks like a puffy pancake but has the easy-to-cut texture of conventional corn bread. It complements everything from chicken to chili. Kathy Teela of Tucson, Arizona submitted this yummy recipe.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another small bowl, beat the egg, milk and 3 teaspoons oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Heat remaining oil in a heavy 8-in. skillet over low heat. Pour batter into the hot skillet; cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Turn and cook 4 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Skillet Corn Bread in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p22
Reviews for Skillet Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2012
"I added onions and celery like my Mother use to and let the edges get crisp. Wonderful"