Why bake when you can make an entire dessert on the stove top? These dumpling are often requested by my family for special events like birthdays.—Becky Magee, Chandler, Arizona
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- For sauce, combine in a heavy skillet the brown sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil and thicken slightly. Add butter; mix well. Remove sauce from heat while make dumplings.
- For dumplings, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa. Cut in butter until mixture resembles a fine meal. Combine the egg, milk and vanilla; blend gradually into flour mixture.
- Return skillet to heat, bring the chocolate sauce to a boil. Drop dumplings by spoonfuls into hot sauce. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Skillet Chocolate Dumplings in Country Woman January/February 1991, p36
Reviews for Skillet Chocolate Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 11, 2011
"Quick, easy and delicious! Great served right away with ice cream!"