Skillet Chocolate Dumplings Recipe
Why bake when you can make an entire dessert on the stove top? These dumpling are often requested by my family for special events like birthdays.Becky Magee, Chandler, Arizona
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- For sauce, combine in a heavy skillet the brown sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil and thicken slightly. Add butter; mix well. Remove sauce from heat while make dumplings.
- For dumplings, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa. Cut in butter until mixture resembles a fine meal. Combine the egg, milk and vanilla; blend gradually into flour mixture.
- Return skillet to heat, bring the chocolate sauce to a boil. Drop dumplings by spoonfuls into hot sauce. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Skillet Chocolate Dumplings in Country Woman January/February 1991, p36
Reviews for Skillet Chocolate Dumplings(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 11, 2011
Quick, easy and delicious! Great served right away with ice cream!