Skillet Chicken Supper Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder and pepper. Pour half the flour mixture into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat; set the remaining flour mixture aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil until browned on all sides; drain. Combine 1-1/4 cups water, soy sauce and oregano; pour over chicken. Add vegetables. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and vegetables; keep warm.
- 3. Combine reserved flour mixture and remaining water until smooth; add to the cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the chicken and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 435 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,389 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.