- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder and pepper. Pour half the flour mixture into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat; set the remaining flour mixture aside.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil until browned on all sides; drain. Combine 1-1/4 cups water, soy sauce and oregano; pour over chicken. Add vegetables. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and vegetables; keep warm.
- Combine reserved flour mixture and remaining water until smooth; add to the cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the chicken and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSkillet Chicken Supper
"I was surprised at how good this was......it's simple, but I just loved the veggies, and especially the little red potatoes, in the sauce. I did cut down the soy sauce to just a fourth of a cup, but it seems like the brand I use from the health food store is pretty strong. I love dishes like this that are all in one skillet....this is one I'll be making frequently!"
"enjoyed, it was easy and fast."
"I've made this so many times. I do remove the skin before I add it to the seasoned flour. Very good and comforting dish"
"This reminds me so much of a dish that my grandmother used to make. Unfortunately, I never got her recipe, but I like to think that this is very close. I could make this once a week and my family would never tire of it."