Skillet Chicken Stew Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium potaotes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, melt butter; cook chicken until chicken juices to run clear. Add onion and celery; cook for 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes and carrots.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, thyme, ketchup and cornstarch; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Skillet Chicken Stew
Sort By :
"This is amazing and very easy! A definite keeper!"
"This was very good! Fast and easy, too. I did make a few changes in ingredients--I don't like cooked celery, and I wanted more color, so added some peas and corn for that, but that just proves this is a good recipe to follow exactly or use as a "jumping off point." Being able to have a hearty stew ready in about 30 minutes is great for weeknights."
"This is one of my "go to" recipes. All my guys love it; make it in summer as well as in cool weather as it cooks on stove top rather than heating the oven. I have added extra broth/stock too & altered cook-time to assure veggies are tender, as other reviewers have indicated. Been making it for years and will keep on making it because, as my husband says: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!""
"Very good. Will be making it again and again. Read reviews and used a whole can of low sodium chicken broth but kept ketchup and cornstarch amounts the same.Used fresh thyme & sage. My 8yr old wants it again tomorrow!"
"Great Recipe. I added some poultry seasoning for a little extra flavor. My family requested this stew again."