Skillet Cabbage Rolls Recipe
This makes a hearty, one-dish meal that’s easy to prepare and attractive to serve. Prepare enough for seconds.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 65 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use). Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the beef, rice, egg, onion, salt, thyme and pepper. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up completely to enclose filling.
- 3. Arrange cabbage rolls, seam side down, in a large skillet. Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice; pour over rolls. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; cook 5 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (3 each) equals 381 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 963 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC