This makes a hearty, one-dish meal that’s easy to prepare and attractive to serve. Prepare enough for seconds.
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use). Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, rice, egg, onion, salt, thyme and pepper. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up completely to enclose filling.
- Arrange cabbage rolls, seam side down, in a large skillet. Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice; pour over rolls. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; cook 5 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Skillet Cabbage Rolls in Country May 2007, p51
Reviews for Skillet Cabbage Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review