- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups salsa
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches), halved and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook beef and peppers over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in salsa, corn and water; bring to a boil.
Stir in tortilla strips. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until tortillas are softened. Sprinkle with cheese; cook, covered, 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Skillet Beef Tamales
"This was okay. I will make again but add olives and nacho cheese sauce and green onions."
"Easy to make and very tasty!"
"Very quick and easy and filling!"
"Good recipe that is so easy to prepare - a quickie! There are many similar recipes with so many more ingredients, but this one is a go to when you really don’t want to cook one night.."
"It didn't look the most appealing but it tasted awesome and was quick and easy to make, and good for you. Its a keeper for me."
"I could not get enough of this delicious, easy dish. Will make again SOON!"
"My husband and I loved this dish! We used flour tortillas instead of corn. We like our food a bit spicier, so we plan to add green chilies next time. Very easy to make and very delicious!"
"I have made this twice now. quick and easy."
"Versatile dish you can adjust to taste. I added some diced tomato and fresh cilantro to the top of this."
"So easy to make and my husband and I both loved it."