Skillet Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/4 pounds), cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a large bowl; stir in the water, horseradish, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 2. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag; shake to coat.
- 3. In the same skillet, brown beef in batches. Return all of the beef to the pan; top with mushroom mixture.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Serve with noodles.
Freeze option: Before adding sour cream, freeze cooled beef in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Stir in sour cream; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup (calculated without noodles) equals 246 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 302 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.