Skillet Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/4 pounds), cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a large bowl; stir in the water, horseradish, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag; shake to coat.
- In the same skillet, brown beef in batches. Return all of the beef to the pan; top with mushroom mixture.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Skillet Beef Stroganoff
Sort By :
"This was a perfectly fine recipe for stroganoff, very similar to most recipes for stroganoff that I've tried before, but a lot more complex than other recipes I use, so I probably won't be making this one again. Basically, it wasn't different/unique enough for me personally to justify the extra work. I also agree with other reviewers about the butter and the water issues."
"My family loves this!"
"This was really tasty. The beef was melt-in-your-mouth tender. I did have to continually add water once the dish started simmering. I also needed more than 1 tbsp of butter when I was browning the meat. Also, when it was browning I was concerned that my pan was getting too dark and the dish would have a burned flavor, but it actually gave the sauce a nice dark, rich flavor."
"My family did like this, but I was very disappointed in the fact that I had to use much more butter to fry the meat. I must have done something very wrong if you are only to use 1 TBSP. I also had to use much more water about 2 C."
"i needed to add alot more water during cooking"