Skewered Shrimp & Vegetables Recipe
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 16 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium red onion, cut into eight wedges
- 8 large fresh mushrooms, halved
- 8 grape tomatoes
- Hot cooked rice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Pour 2/3 cup into a large resealable plastic bag; add shrimp. Seal the bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread shrimp and vegetables. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink, turning once and basting frequently with reserved marinade. Serve with rice; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
2 skewers (calculated without rice) equals 221 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fat, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Skewered Shrimp & Vegetables
"Very good. Had a scampi type test to them."
"Easy to make and even my 2-year-old ate the shrimp. I recommend setting aside some of the marinade to put the veggies in too."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.