Sizzling Rice Soup Recipe
My family enjoys food with flair like this unique Asian soup. Whenever I serve it, it's such a hit that no one has much room for the main course. The children get a real kick out of watching the rice sizzle when it gets added to the soup.—Mary Woodke, Gardiner, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 2-1/2 hours Cook: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Spread on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 2 hours or until dried and browned, stirring occasionally; set aside.
- 2. In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the broth, chicken, mushrooms, onions, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, bouillon and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Add peas; cook for 15 minutes. Just before serving, heat oil in a skillet. Fry rice in hot oil until it is slightly puffed. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Immediately spoon some hot rice into each bowl and it will sizzle. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 191 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 1,043 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC