Sizzling Green Beans
I've loved green beans ever since I started eating them off the vine in my grandmother's garden. To add a little heat to these baked beans, I sometimes sprinkle them with crushed red pepper flakes.
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 16 shallots, quartered
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, toss the first nine ingredients; transfer to two
- greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at
- 400° for 25-30 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice and vinegar;
- toss to coat. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup with about 2 teaspoons almonds equals 158 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 250 mg sodium,