Golden-brown cheese patties are fabulous served with any combination of crisp greens, such as arugula, spinach or even cabbage.—Cleo Martinez-Gonske, Redding, California
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gjetost cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives
- 5 tomato wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Toasted pita wedges, optional
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and Gjetost cheese until blended. Shape into ten 1-in. balls; flatten into 1-1/2-in. patties.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, sesame seeds, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip cheese in egg mixture, then cornmeal mixture. In a large skillet, cook cheese patties in butter in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, arrange the salad greens, olives and tomatoes on a serving platter. Whisk the oils, vinegar, onions, mustard and seasonings; drizzle over salad. Place cheese patties over the top. Serve immediately with pita wedges if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Sizzling Cheese Salad in Country Woman October/November 2010, p32
Reviews for Sizzling Cheese Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review