Colorful peppers star in this hearty stir-fry from Betty Elliott of Goldonna, Louisiana. “I'm single, and I work very long hours,” says Betty. “This recipe is handy because I can use the leftovers in fajitas.”
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 serrano peppers
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1/2 medium green pepper
- 1/2 medium sweet red or yellow pepper
- 6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Cut all of the peppers into thin strips; discard seeds. In a skillet
- or wok, stir-fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Add the
- peppers, mushrooms and onion; stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3
- minutes. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Serve with rice if desired.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups (calculated without rice) equals 219 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 214 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable,