I originally came across a five-layer version of this dish at a Home Extension program. I increased the ground beef and added the celery myself, and my family prefers this version.—Charlotte McDaniel, Williamsville, Illinois
6-8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Layer beef with onions, potatoes and green pepper, seasoning
- each layer lightly with salt and pepper. Top with celery, tomatoes
- and basil.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until
- vegetables are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 233 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 607 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.