Six-Layer Dinner Recipe
I originally came across a five-layer version of this dish at a Home Extension program. I increased the ground beef and added the celery myself, and my family prefers this version.—Charlotte McDaniel, Williamsville, Illinois
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Layer beef with onions, potatoes and green pepper, seasoning each layer lightly with salt and pepper. Top with celery, tomatoes and basil.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 233 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 607 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC