Sirloin Strips over Rice Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. Sprinkle beef strips with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute onions in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, wine, bay leaf, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Return beef to the pan; cook for 2-4 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 299 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 567 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.