Sirloin Strips over Rice Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Sprinkle beef strips with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onions in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, wine, bay leaf, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Return beef to the pan; cook for 2-4 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Sirloin Strips over Rice(7)
Sort By :
If my husband likes it,it's a keeper.
This was really good. The only change I made was to cook it in the slow cooker for about 6 hours instead of the stove top. I had some very tough steak I needed to use, and that worked really well.
Yum!! This was easy to make and delicious. My 17 month old boys loved it, too!
In the second step, before bringing the sauce to a boil, I added 1 tablespoon of granulated (quick cooking, 1-minute) tapioca. I prefer my sauce to be a little thicker, so this was perfect.
I served this meal over mashed potatoes instead of rice.
This is definitely a meal that I will make again!
We really enjoyed this recipe. It was easy to make and the steak was juicy and flavorful. I like to use fresh basil & thyme instead of dried.
I'm on a roll. Yesterday my 2 year old and 3 year old liked my TOH Lemon chicken, and today they LOVED the Sirloin strips and rice recipe. All the flavors just blended together so beautifully. My 3 year old kept saying how delicious it was and asked for more. Yay. I've never seen my 2 year old eat steak before,but he liked this one. :) Thank you!!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >