For a tasty main dish that's ready in minutes, Kim Shea of Wethersfield, Connecticut jazzes up leftovers with colorful fresh peppers and convenient canned tomatoes. The slightly sweet combination looks appealing over rice.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound cooked beef sirloin or round steak, cut into thin strips
- Hot cooked rice
- In a skillet or wok, stir-fry the onion, peppers and garlic in butter
- until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, basil, sugar, garlic
- salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 5 minutes. Add steak; cover and simmer until heated through. Serve
- with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced-fat margarine, no-salt-added stewed tomatoes and garlic powder; calculated without rice) equals 273 calories, 11 g fat (0 saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 168 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber,