Ronda Karbo shared a soy sauce marinade that we used on colorful beef and vegetable kabobs. "When our grill comes out tin the spring, this is the first recipe my family asks me to make," says the Russell, Minnesota reader. "You can also use this marinade on six pork chops or a large piece of round steak cut into serving-size pieces."
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, ground mustard and ground ginger
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into eight wedges, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder, mustard and ginger. Place beef in a large resealable plastic bag; add 1 cup marinade. Seal bag and toss to coat. Place zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper and onion if desired in another resealable plastic bag; add remaining marinade and toss to coat. Refrigerate beef and vegetables for at least 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread beef and vegetables. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 10 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness, turning occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sirloin Squash Shish Kabobs in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p57
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Sirloin Squash Shish Kabobs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review