Simply Elegant Tomato Soup
If you’ve only had tomato soup from a can, you’re going to be blown away when you try a bowl of this. It’s velvety, creamy and oh-so-good!Heidi Blanken, Sedro-Woolley, Washington
4 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 pounds tomatoes (about 10 medium)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Using a slotted
- spoon, place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30-60
- seconds. Remove each tomato and immediately plunge in ice water.
- Peel and quarter tomatoes; remove seeds.
- In another large saucepan, melt butter. Add tomatoes, 2 tablespoons
- chives, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup until blended. Return to the pan. Stir in
- cream; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with remaining chives.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 268 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 693 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein.