Simply Elegant Tomato Soup Recipe
- 4 pounds tomatoes (about 10 medium)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove each tomato and immediately plunge in ice water. Peel and quarter tomatoes; remove seeds.
- 2. In another large saucepan, melt butter. Add tomatoes, 2 tablespoons chives, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup until blended. Return to the pan. Stir in cream; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with remaining chives. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 268 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Simply Elegant Tomato Soup
"It worked for me. As stated, just bring the tomato to a boil in a pot and then simmer only 6-7 min. I'm a cream of tomato soup fan and this is one of the better recipes I've tried. Thanks, Heidi -- I'll be making it again."
"I can't really honestly rate this one as is because I felt like the tomatoes needed some sort of liquid to boil in. I added about a cup of beef broth and then only used 1 1/2 cups cream at the end. This soup had a great taste like that, but who knows what it would have tasted like if I had tried to boil just the tomato quarters?"