- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 8-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Grease a baking sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal. Place loaves seam side down on prepared pan. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack; spread with butter. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Simply Delicious Italian Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p188
Reviews for Simply Delicious Italian Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 28, 2015
"Love this for symbolic or pepperoni bread!"