Simple White Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of water. Add the remaining water, dry milk, oil, sugar, salt and 3 cups of flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch the dough down. Divide in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 each: 165 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Simple White Bread
"Wonderful texture. Nice tall loaves. Easy and quick to mix up in electric mixer. Great smell of homemade bread in no time!"
"This is a very easy recipe and a very good tasting bread."
"I would offer 5 stars, however, no stars showed on the rate this recipe section. Makes wonderful, wonderful bread I'm proud to serve."
"Used my stand mixer for this recipe. I live at high altitude so I decreased the yeast to 3 tablespoons. These loafs rose beautifully. They turned out so well that I photographed the loafs fresh from the oven and sent the pictures off to friends."
"This recipe is simple but very good. I use it when I make Krautburgers. It rises beautifully. and the crust browns nicely."