- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of water. Add the remaining water, dry milk, oil, sugar, salt and 3 cups of flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Divide in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Simple White Bread
"I would offer 5 stars, however, no stars showed on the rate this recipe section. Makes wonderful, wonderful bread I'm proud to serve."
"Used my stand mixer for this recipe. I live at high altitude so I decreased the yeast to 3 tablespoons. These loafs rose beautifully. They turned out so well that I photographed the loafs fresh from the oven and sent the pictures off to friends."
"This recipe is simple but very good. I use it when I make Krautburgers. It rises beautifully. and the crust browns nicely."