- 4 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, patted dry and chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first seven ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until carrots are tender, adding spinach and tomatoes during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Stir in cilantro and parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Simple Vegetarian Slow-Cooked Beans
"I used this recipe as a wonderful guideline for the dish I made. I didn't have 4 cans of beans so I made my own using 1 pound of cooked beans. I added the listed veggies and seasonings, but increased the vegetables by adding 1 medium onion, 1 cup bell (tri-color) pepper, 2 ribs celery, one jalapeno, and 1 small zucchini. I used frozen chopped spinach. I also increased the chili powder and cumin. Delicious! Laugh if you want...I'm serving it with grilled kielbasa!!!"
"This was tasty and seemed to be a hit at the potluck I took it to. I cooked it overnight and I think it sat on Warm for a little too long and the beans got slightly mushy. I will try it again without cooking for so long and see if I adjust my review."