Simple Tomato Soup
I created this recipe on a bad weather day. My husband, Mic, and my daughter, Liz, ask for this soup constantly. Whenever I send it with my daughter for lunch at school, I always send some for her friend, too. It is pure comfort food.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place tomatoes with juices in a blender; cover and process until
- pureed. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add
- onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in broth. Add pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil over
- medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25
- minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
- Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 120 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 1,270 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.