Simple Sugar Cookies
Powdered sugar takes the place of granulated sugar in this sweet standby from Maxine Guin of Barnhart, Missouri. "I received the recipe for this tasty cookie from a cook I worked with at our local school," she recalls.
21 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar
- and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Shape into two
- 5-in. rolls; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until
- Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased
- baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire
- racks to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 152 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.