Powdered sugar takes the place of granulated sugar in this sweet standby from Maxine Guin of Barnhart, Missouri. "I received the recipe for this tasty cookie from a cook I worked with at our local school," she recalls.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Shape into two 5-in. rolls; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Simple Sugar Cookies in Quick Cooking December 2000, p55
Reviews for Simple Sugar Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 24, 2008
"I made these for Christmas they were very delicious!!!!!!thanks"