Simple Stollen Recipe
"When it comes to seasonal sweets, this easy Christmas stollen is a recipe I know I can count on," notes field editor Shirley Glaab of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. "The recipe is made with baking powder instead of yeast, so requires no rising."
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in 6 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, candied fruit, raisins, almonds, extracts, lemon peel, egg and yolk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead five times. Roll dough into a 10-in. x 8-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edge lightly to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet; curve ends slightly.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over loaf. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 284 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC