Simple Stollen Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in 6 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, candied fruit, raisins, almonds, extracts, lemon peel, egg and yolk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead five times. Roll dough into a 10-in. x 8-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edge lightly to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet; curve ends slightly.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over loaf. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for Simple Stollen(2)
Sort By :
This recipe is great! I make at least a triple recipe every Christmas. My intention is to give as gifts, but I end up consuming most of the loaves!
I don't bake with yeast very much so this looked really easy to make for something special. Wow!! It was easy and really good. Now I have something to make special every Christmas and also Easter.