- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 slices thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 2 pounds pork spareribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup beer
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, place the potatoes, onion, apple and bacon. Drain sauerkraut, reserving 1/3 cup of the liquid; add sauerkraut and reserved liquid to slow cooker.
- Cut spareribs into serving-size portions; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown ribs in batches. Transfer to slow cooker; sprinkle with brown sugar and caraway seeds.
- Add sausage; pour in beer. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until ribs are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Simple Sparerib & Sauerkraut Supper
"Easy to make, good flavor. We used potatoes we had on hand, a different type apple, pre-cooked bacon and regular mild sausage and it still tasted fine. Just needs a salad or some colorful side veggies to brighten it up."
"Attempting to make this recipe but not sure whether to use regular beer or lager. Anyone have an opinion?"
"This was a hit, I replaced the Polish sausage with our homemade brats. Ribs were tender, a perfect cold-weather mead.."
"I've prepared this several times already and love it. I use 2 cans of Bavarian Sauerkraut undrained and omit the caraway seeds."
"This was hit. I do NOT like sauerkraut, but I found myself going back for seconds. Great recipe."