Simple Sparerib & Sauerkraut Supper Recipe
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 slices thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 2 pounds pork spareribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup beer
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, place the potatoes, onion, apple and bacon. Drain sauerkraut, reserving 1/3 cup of the liquid; add sauerkraut and reserved liquid to slow cooker.
- Cut spareribs into serving-size portions; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown ribs in batches. Transfer to slow cooker; sprinkle with brown sugar and caraway seeds.
- Add sausage; pour in beer. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until ribs are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Simple Sparerib & Sauerkraut Supper(5)
Sort By :
I've prepared this several times already and love it. I use 2 cans of Bavarian Sauerkraut undrained and omit the caraway seeds.
This was hit. I do NOT like sauerkraut, but I found myself going back for seconds. Great recipe.
I made this as written, but without the sausage and with beef broth instead of beer. It was quick, easy, & delicious!
delicious and easy
Tastes nothing like I remember growing up but that's a good thing, this was delicious! I think the smoked sausage was the secret flavor,the spareribs were very tender. I wouldn't sub the fingerlings (which were hard to find) because they really held their shape. Wonderful plate presentation! Again, comfort food at it's best!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easy Slow Cooker Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Pork Slow Cooker Recipes >