Simple Sloppy Joes
My mom and I had fun creating this recipe together. My daughter Jennifer, could eat these sandwiches every day. It's a good thing the recipe makes a big batch! - Ona Allen, Huber Heights, Ohio
12 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 12 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce and
- paste, ketchup, brown sugar and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes,
- stirring occasionally. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each
- bun. Yield: 12 servings.
Round out a hearty lunch featuring Simple Sloppy Joes with potato or corn chips and carrot slices.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 300 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 740 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.